Sunday, December 29, 2013

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Hey guys, Sammi here! \

So. I JUST READ THE BEST BOOK EVER. Well, ahem, sorry about that. Just kidding, I'm not sorry at all!


And it has a beautiful cover:


I literally just realized that was a person in the background as I was searching for this picture. ^ who's observant? Not me. But I am blaming the shiny cover for my lack of noticing sooner. 

Immortal Beloved was fantastic! It's a novel about immortals and magic ( or magick as it's spelled in the book. ) Here is the synopsis:

Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.

Nastasya finally begins to deal with life, and even feels safe--until the night she learns that someone wants her dead.

Now. That last part is kind of false in my mind. While reading the story, I felt that Nastasya didn't dwell too much on the fact that someone wanted her dead. She had enough crap on her plate and quite frankly, it didn't appear that she would care if she were to die. Being immortal seems to do somethings to you, let this novel tell you. She kind of just went, 'well, damn' and worried about her other problems.

I feel Cate Tiernan did an AMAZING job on this novel. I honestly didn't expect anything bad from her. Her Balefire series sits proudly on my bookshelf and her Sweep series proudly in my mind. She has a way of making you love every character, even the batshit crazy ones. 

This novel was humorous and heart breaking. You just felt so much for Nastasya couldn't help but love her. The writing was fast paced but rich, sending images and creating scenes in my mind. I would most definitely recommend! And to all you disappointed in Evermore, here is your savior! 

Speaking of Nastasya, I just have to say she's probably my new favorite protagonist. ( WARNING: INCOHERENT GUSHING IN 3, 2, 1) All of her emotions were so... real. They were raw, and you could just connect with her. She freaked out about things like a normal person would. She had so much trouble figuring out herself, and I did too, because she was such of a real person to me. Nastasya one of those people that hate themselves so much to a point where you can't help but love them, can't help but want to just give them a hug. Her sense of self is so skewed. She's scarred and traumatized and basically just a frightened person trying to find a place she doesn't have to be scared anymore.

But Nastasya had a whole other side to her as well. She was funny and snappy. Some of her comments had me laughing so hard. And the way she viewed Reyn was fabulous. She gave him so many hilarious nicknames in her head, I couldn't take it. I thought it was heart warming to see how she took care of the two mortal girls in town, no matter how much she seemed unwilling or not interested.

There really wasn't a plot to this book. While that might seem bad, it really wasn't. I think the entire novel is set up for everything to happen in the next two books.

I give this amazing novel 5 out of 5 stars.

Thank you guys for reading!
Ta-Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment